Monday, March 1, 2010

Cooking for Two and a Half

I never learned to cook for less than four. Which is a problem because my family consists of two and a half. When I cook for Daniel, Nathan and I there are always tons of leftovers that Daniel "gets" to take for his lunch for the next week or two. The result is that he ends up resentful of several of my dishes due to over exposure.
While I was working we got ezmeals which gives you recipes and grocery lists that are supposed to work for two and they often did. Daniel was the one cooking at that time and it made such a difference in our tendency to eat out. But I don't cook that way, I cook cheaper than they do, and I like my cooking so no more ezmeals now that I am home.
I believe that I have found a solution to my over cooking though and it is ingenious. I have started providing others with a week of meals for a weekly fee that is less than they would spend eating out. Am I good or am I good. Daniel gets more home cooked meals because I don't resort to hot dogs or leftovers as much. I just keep a small portion of what I make for them, for us, and send off the rest. I do get "cooked out" if the meals that I choose are all really intensive prep meals. And there are fewer leftovers for Daniel to take to work but that hasn't been a big problem as of yet.
I guess my conclusion is that if you don't know how to cook for two, find more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment