Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break

      Apparently in the outside world it is spring break and I find it strange how for the first time in my life it has little effect on me. I am not teaching school nor do I have school aged children so this spring break will pass virtually unobserved in this household. I don't know if I should relish these scant years where this once revered week will pass unnoticed or be sad that I am leaving behind an era of my life.
      I never did the whole spring break vacation while I was in high school and college but I did look forward to it. A whole week to catch up on sleep and homework that I had put off. Not that I ever did the homework but I often had good intentions and set for myself lofty goals. While I was teaching I had similar plans; catch up on sleep and grading that I had put off (not that that happened either). So perhaps this would feel more momentous if I had some crazy history of fabulous partying or wild vacations or even lofty goal reaching. Or maybe I should look at it as if I have entered a stage in my life, while I am home with my children, where every week it spring break. I at least have the same goals that I had every spring break: catch up on sleep and housework that I have put off (not that that ever happens). I guess some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment