Friday, October 4, 2013

The Importance of Playtime

Sometimes I get so caught up in what I have to get done that day that I find myself annoyed when my kids beg for my attention. The dishes, the laundry, the vacuuming, it all piles up in my head until there isn't room to enjoy the precious moments I have with my babies.







Playtime with my kids is very important. It's part of how they know that I love them, it's part of how they know that they are important to me. So, I decided to ignore the house, and take my babies to the park. My sweet boy was giddy with excitement when I told him where we were going.
It was a beautiful day. The sun was out, but the breeze was just enough to take the heat of it. We went on the slide, the swings, the jungle gym, the slide, and the slide again. Typically I take baby girl to the mall playground, where there is less things on the ground to eat, but I decided it was time to give her a chance at the big kids playground. I couldn't have been more right. She loved it! And she didn't try to eat the mulch!
Instead of all packing into the car to head to the park we walked to the park that was just a two blocks from our house. This is something I really should take advantage of this more often now that the torturous heat of summer has passed. It gets me some exercise, my sweet boy loves to chat with me while we walk, and baby girl kept turning around in the stroller and grinning at both of us. It was picture perfect.
Second advantage of the walk, play, and then walk home... calm, tired children that will sleep well tonight. Since my sweet boy had got all his wiggles out at the park he sweetly did his chores and helped his Daddy to make dinner. It made for a comparatively low key evening for us all.
The best part of the whole thing was seeing how much joy just spending these 30 min with my babies brought to them. They were so excited to be going and so grateful to just be with me. How do I keep forgetting how amazing moments like these are? Why do I let life bog me down and steal those beautiful smiles away?






No comments:

Post a Comment